Saturday, June 2, 2012

Yes, Risotto Can Be Easy to Make

        I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading lately. It's tremendous to me, anyway, because I haven't read this many books in a row in a long, long while. To name a few... "Before I Go to Sleep", a debut novel by S. J. Watson about a woman with an unusual type of amnesia, was (in my humble opinion) incredible. Definitely makes my All-Time Favorites list -- I couldn't put the darned thing down. Then, after a recommendation from my Zia Nadia, I finally finished reading "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay, a work of historical fiction about the Holocaust. It was very good but incredibly sad, which is to be expected. I was almost in tears toward the ending of the book. Why did you tell me to read this, Zia, WHY?! Why couldn't I read a book about sunshine and rainbows?!  
        I have some great news. I bought a new camera -- the Canon Rebel T2i. I've had my eyes on this baby for a while, and I'm so happy to call it my own. From now on, all the photographs on my blog will be taken with my new camera, including the photos of the delicious and easy-to-make risotto I have to share with you today. 
Easy Buttery Risotto
        This risotto recipe is a staple meal in my family. This is my mom's recipe, and my dad often says it is his one of his favorite dinners. I have to agree with him on that one. This risotto is rich and flavorful, with a lovely buttery taste and a nice helping of Parmesan cheese stirred in. We like to top it with grilled vegetables and sausages for a main course, although it would make an excellent side dish as well.
        I've been told that making risotto is a difficult task, but I beg to differ. Maybe it's just the recipe, or maybe the whole risotto-is-hard-to-make idea is just a misconception, because it seems pretty easy to me.
        Have a great weekend, everyone!


Easy Buttery Risotto

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients
1/2 large onion
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
Water, to cover rice
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions
  1. Finely chop the half-onion. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion to the melted butter; cook and stir the onion until translucent. Add the rice and stir until the rice is coated with the butter. Sauté the rice for about a minute, or until the rice releases a slightly nutty aroma, but do not allow the rice to brown.
  2. Add just enough water to cover the rice. Add the two chicken bouillon cubes; stir and ensure that no chunks of the bouillon remain. As the water is absorbed by the rice, continue to add more water to cover the rice, stirring occasionally so the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. The rice is cooked when it is plump, al dente (slightly firm to the bite), and most of the water is absorbed.
  3. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to distribute evenly. Pour rice into a serving dish. Optional: top with grilled vegetables and/or sausages or other desired toppings. Serve.

Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

7 comments:

  1. With such beautiful results too! My hero :D

    Cheers

    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look so delicious... risotto is a fall back dish at home when I can't think of what to make.. thanks for sharing your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your risotto recipe!
    "Sara's Key" is on my list too, after I finish "Suite Francaise" (Irene Nemirovsky)... also sad... (and related).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have always been collecting Risotto recipes. Not that skilled in cooking it, but I really love to learn and master risotto dishes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful risotto...awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new camera...how fun! And your risotto looms amazing! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, this easy! But it sounds so very good. I've never made risotto, but I'm not sure why. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis